Monday, April 19, 2010

by Giam Say Khoon
KUALA KUBU BARU (April 19, 2010): Hulu Selangor parliamentary by-election independent candidate S. Chandran today withdrew from the four-cornered fight and pledged to help Barisan Nasional (BN) win the seat.
When met at the Hulu Selangor district office here where the Election Commission (EC)'s operation centre was located, Chandran said he still loves BN, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak and Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin very much.
"I witnessed 10 elections in Hulu Selangor. I am always a BN supporter. Although there is some misunderstanding between MIC and me, I do not want to destroy the BN votes. I want BN to win.
"I have informed my supporters to support BN and they agreed that I am doing good for the people. Now that Chandran belongs to BN," he told reporters before submitting the withdrawal form to the EC.
Asked when he decided to withdraw, Chandran said he made up his mind last night after a discussion with his friends who also have experience in politics.
However, to a question, Chandran, who was Hulu Selangor MIC deputy chairman, stressed he would not support the BN candidate P. Kamalanathan, but only the BN coalition.
"He (Kamalanathan) can be a MIC or BN candidate. I do not care about the party, but only BN. I can give roughly about 10,000 votes to BN since I have withdrawn as a candidate," he added.
Chandran explained that he chose to contest in the first place because MIC did not field a better candidate than Kamalanathan.
"There are eligible persons in MIC especially the central working committee members who come from the grassroots level. (For example) MIC Youth deputy chief V. Mugilan who is also the Hulu Selangor youth chief but he was not fielded. Why? What's the reason? Who is Kamalanathan?" he asked.
"But I do not want to go against him," he said, adding that he was fine with his RM10,000 deposit as a candidate being forfeited.
On the possible sacking by MIC, Chandran said: "I am not worried that MIC will sack me or not... With my experience, I can help the people in Hulu Selangor.
"I can join other (component) parties. There is no problem for me," he said.
With Chandran leaving the battle, it is now among Kalamanathan, Pakatan Rakyat candidate Datuk Mohd Zaid Ibrahim and independent candidate Johan Mohd Diah, who is an Umno Youth leader from Shah Alam, fighting for the seat, which was vacated by the death of Datuk Dr Zainal Abidin Ahmad on March 25.
Election Commission deputy chairman Datuk Wan Ahmad Wan Omar said Chandran would lose his deposit because he had missed the deadline to withdraw as candidate at 10am today. - theSun

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet Update

VIDEOS