Sunday, April 18, 2010
Tim Leonard



P. Kamalanathan
KUALA KUBU BARU (April 17, 2010): P. Kamalanathan, the BN candidate for Hulu Selangor, started his election campaign with a fiery speech at the Barisan Nasional centre here yesterday, saying that he is "taught to listen more than to speak". Speaking to a mixed crowd of some 300 seated in a warm marquee under a noon sub, the 44-year-old public relations practitioner put his exposure in RTM talk shows and his fluency in Bahasa Malaysia to good use, weaving his charm on the local residents.
"I will listen to all your problems...please give me a chance to serve you," he told the crowd, about half of whom were women.
Accompanying him were Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and senior BN leaders, all of whom had adjourned there after Kamalanathan had filed his nomination at the adjacent nomination centre.
Kamalanathan started by introducing himself and his wife S. Shobana, 38, a senior public relations manager with a private medical centre who has taken a nine-day leave to help her husband in his campaign. He spoke for about 10 minutes.
"I am a local candidate...so I will not run away to KL or Kota Baru," he said, taking a swipe at his PKR rival Datuk Mohd Zaid Ibrahim who hails from Kota Baru, Kelantan.
"I am here to represent Barisan Nasional and the ideals of 1Malaysia concept. I don't want to just ask you for your votes. I want to be your friend as well for a long time, not for these eight days only."
Those present, especially the elderly, gave Kamalanathan a rousing applause.
A resident, Rahmah Osman, 68, gave her appraisal: "He speaks very good Malay and his words are very convincing....and he is very humble. I would like him to be the MP here."
Another Hulu Selangor resident, Mohd Abdullah, 79, said he has never seen Kamalanathan before but after hearing his speech, he was convinced the candidate is capable of winning.
"I have lived here for more than 30 years and I have seen many politicians come and go...and I feel good to see a fresh face, with a lot of new ideas.
"I can tell by the way he speaks that he can go far," added Mohd Abdullah.
Bernama quoted Kamalanathan's wife as describing him as "clean and hard working".
"He is brilliant, very humble and simple. He is very down to earth," she said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet Update

VIDEOS